Pellet Technology USA converts biomass into proprietary PowerPellets® that are dense, dry, and free from binders. PowerPellets® store and ship exactly like grain, which means no new material-handling infrastructure is required.
PowerPellets® can be added to most coal-fired electrical plants with minimal retrofitting. PowerPellets® perform on par with PRB (Powder River Basin) coal while at the same time reducing the coal-fired plant’s overall carbon footprint as well as its SOx (sulphur oxides), NOx (nitrous oxides), and Hg (mercury) emissions. Because of their characteristics, PowerPellets® work just as efficiently in gasification process.
To be specifically formulated for optimal conversion to cellulosic biofuels or bio-chemicals. PowerPellets® can be made from corn stover, wood residue, and many other non-traditional forms of abundant, agri-industrial wastes like coal fines and lignin.
- Stover is a good source of renewable energy, but the natural density characteristics reduce its burn value and limits performance in a commercial setting
PowerPellets® PRB Coal BTUs/Lb 7,000 – 7,500 8,000 – 9,000 Moisture 8% – 12% 25% – 35% Ash 8.6% – 9.5% 4% – 9% Volatile 60% – 70% 30% – 40% Fixed Carbon 18.7% – 20.7% 32% – 40% Sulfer 0.17% – 0.19% 0.2% – 0.7%
Energy and Environmental Research Center test completed October 2009
PowerPellets® can be used in multiple, worldwide markets:
- Co-fired with coal to generate cleaner electricity
- Burned by industry and institutions as a cleaner source of heat and power
- Used as feedstock for renewable biofuels; and,
- Used as feedstock for manufacturing bio-chemicals, a green alternative to petro-chemicals
Coal-fired power plants can co-burn PowerPellets® today to realize significant – and valuable – reductions to their carbon footprints.
- Coal-fired power generators worldwide are under enormous social and regulatory pressure to “green up”
- RPS (Renewable Portfolio Standards) laws
- Carbon Cap & Trade programs pending in the U.S. and currently in place in dozens of countries
- PowerPellets® are the fastest, easiest, most cost-efficient way for coal-fired power generators to achieve RPS compliance and reap regulatory incentives